By Bampia James Bundu
Mamadi Gobeh Kamara, Deputy Information Minister, has urged stakeholders in Kenema District to embrace the Medium-Term National Development Plan as a roadmap towards the transformation of the district.
She made that statement during a one-day stakeholders’ engagement on the Medium-Term National Development Plan organised by the Ministry of Planning and Economic Development (MOPED) at Albsertson Hotel conference room in Kenema on 14th August 2020.
It will be recalled that the Sierra Leone Medium Term National Development Plan 2019 -2023 with the theme ‘Education for Development’ aims to promote a new direction for improving People’s Lives through Education, Inclusive Growth, and Building a Resilient Economy.
Madam Gobeh Kamara said that the popularisation of the Medium-Term National Development Plan is very important because it gives stakeholders the opportunity to choose the development priorities of Kenema district.
She said that development is people centred and therefore it’s imperative that the beneficiaries of these developments are involved in all processes. She encouraged the women of Kenema district to participate fully in the implementation, coordination and monitoring of the development plan for effective and efficient delivery of projects.
Madam Mamadi Gobeh Kamara also highlighted key successes of the Ministry of Information and Communications which includes:
- Engaging mobile companies to increase mobile penetration to underserved communities across the country.
- Decentralisation and roll out of the National Fibre Optic backbone project to increase access to ICT services.
- Repeal of the Criminal Libel law which gives journalists the enabling environment to practice their profession without fear or favour.
- Rebooting of the Sierra Leone News to provide journalism that helps each Sierra Leonean better understand how their country is governed, and take actions that challenge, unite, and inspire positive change.
- Engaging communities through television, radio stations and stakeholder meetings to inform and engage Sierra Leoneans on Government development strides.
- The supply of digital terrestrial multimedia broadcast platforms and promotion of e-governance amongst others.
She pledged the Ministry’s support to the people of Kenema for the effective implementation of the development plan.