By Amin Kef Sesay
The Committee on Appointments and Public Service in Parliament, chaired by the Leader of Government Business, Hon. Sahr Mathew Nyuma on Thursday 14th May 2020 debated and approved its 14th Report .
During its deliberations the following presidential nominees were approved by Parliament: Hon. Dr. Prince Alex Harding as Chairman of the National Commission for Privatization, Ing. Abdulai Ansumana as Deputy Director-General, SLRA, Mrs. Sybic Bailor as Chairman, Board of Directors of the Sierra Leone Local Contents Agency, Ing. Trudy Morgan as Member, Board of Directors of the Sierra Leone Local Contents Agency, Mr. Sheku Mattia-as Deputy Commissioner, of the Insurance Commission of Sierra Leone, Mrs. Haja Mariama Fatu Myers as Member of the Corporate Affairs Commission, Mr. Lloyd Hindolo Jusu (Esq) as Member of the Corporate Affairs Commission, Bro. Mamoud Foday Sesay as Member of the Corporate Affairs Commission, Mrs. Amy Elizabeth Green as Member of the Corporate Affairs Commission, Mr. David Maurice Panda-Noah-as Minister of Internal Affairs and Mr. Paul Saffa Tapema as Deputy Executive Director of the National Youth Service
Seconding the motion, the Deputy Leader of Government Business, Hon. Bashiru Silikie called on the nominees to apply due diligence in light of national service and the “New Direction Manifesto”.
“Make sure you perform for the State,” he noted adding that Parliament will ensure that they conduct oversight on the various MDAs. He also encouraged colleague MPs to speedily approve all the nominees especially Dr. Harding whom he described as “the Chairman of the ruling SLPP and my political mentor”.
On behalf of the Parliamentary Female Caucus, Independent Member of Parliament from Kailahun District, Hon. Emilia L. Tongi extended thanks and appreciation to President Bio for appointing qualified women to serve in high offices of the State. She admonished all of them to perform, particularly the Minister of Internal Affairs having in mind the recent incidences of violence in the country.
Hon. Paramount Chief Member of Parliament from Moyamba District, Fatmata Bintu M.K Koroma encouraged the nominees to work in the best interest of the State and asked the Minister of Internal Affairs to deploy reliable Police Officers in the various chiefdoms in order to enforce the bye-laws that are related to fight COVID-19.
Leader of NGC, Hon. Dr. Kandeh Yumkella wished all the nominees well and encouraged them to deliver especially in critical areas where wisdom demands, in light of nation building and peaceful co-existence.
The Leader of Government Business, Hon. Sahr Mathew Nyuma commended all those who contributed to the debate for the approval of the nominees.
Extending his felicitations after approval, the Speaker of Parliament, Rt. Hon. Dr. Abass Chernor Bundu wished all the nominees well and asked them to keep safe by adhering to the enhanced measures aimed at fighting COVID-19.
In another development, the Parliament of Sierra Leone has ratified the following agreements that were presented by the Deputy Minister of Finance, Dr. Patricia Laverley:
- Amendment to the financing agreement (Agriculture value chain development project (AVDP) between the Republic of Sierra Leone and the International Fund for Agricultural Development, grant Number 2000002586 and loan number 2000002587 dated 27th November 2019
- Loan Agreement (revamping of aquatic environment in the Greater Freetown Project) between the Republic of Sierra Leone and the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development, dated 17th November 2019
- Project Agreement (Revamping of the aquatic environment in the Greater Freetown Project) between the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development and Guma Valley Water Company, dated 17th November 2019
- Dollar Credit Line Financing agreement between the Government of Sierra Leone and the Export- Import Bank of India, dated 13th October 2019
- Framework agreement for Protection of investment between the Republic of Sierra Leone and the Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa, dated 17th November 2019